Directions (Q. Nos. 161-163): In each of the following questions, the word at the top is used in four different ways. Choose the option in which the usage of the word is incorrect or inappropriate.
A. I pushed the door hard, but it just wouldn’t Open.
B. He told me to push and leave him alone.
C. His rivals are trying to push him out of the elections.
D. They pushed their way to the front of the queue.
A. The employer was not ready to accept any condition from the candidate.
B. Women in some societies are conditioned to accept lower status than men.
C. One should condition well at these formal dinners.
D. He is in no condition to go to work.
A. Violence flashed in many areas last night.
B. Camera bulbs flashed as the Prime Minister appeared on the podium.
C. The news of tsunami flashed around the world within moments.
D. A strange thought flashed through her mind.
Directions (Q. Nos. 164-170): In the following questions pick out the word which is nearest in meaning to the italicised word.
Directions (Q. Nos. 171-175): Select the alternative that best expresses the meaning of the italicised word.
171. It is very discourteous to intrude during some one’s conversation?
A. find fault
C. be in the way
D. leave quickly
172. The remnants of the Roman Empire can be found in many countries in Asia, Europe and Africa.
B. small pieces
173. Nelson Mandela abhors racial discrimination
174. The perpetual motion of the earth as it turns on its axis creates the change of seasons.
175. A shrewd politician takes advantage of every opportunity to campaign for the next election.
Directions (Q. Nos. 176-180): Fill in the blanks with the most appropriate alternative.
176. The greater the demand, ………….. the price.
C. the higher
D. the high
177. I knew, he wouldn’t return until he …………. all his money.
A. has spent
B. have spent
C. would have spent
D. had spent
178. For the investor who has ………….. money Units are good options.
A. so little a
B. so few
C. very few
D. very little
179. Please write out the answers to the questions at the end of …….
A. the eight chapter
B. the eighth chapter
C. chapter eight
D. chapter the eight
180. ……….. the timely medical attention the patient would have died.
A. In spite of
B. Because of
C. But for
D. Even after