141. Choose the correct preposition from the given options in the following sentence:
She is sitting next …… her brother in the second row.
142. Fill in the blank space with correct article in the following sentence :
This is ……… best place to visit during summer vacations.
(C) zero article
143. Identify the word with a different sound represented by the two underlined alphabets at the final level in one of the following words,
Directions-(Q. 144 to 147) Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions on the basis of the passage:
Passage-An elder sister came to visit her younger sister in the country. The elder was married to a tradesman in town, the younger to a peasant in the village. As the sisters sat over their tea talking, the elder began to boast of the advantages of town life: saying how comfortably they lived there, how well they dressed, what fing clothes her children wore, wral good things they ate and drank, and how she went to the theatre, promenades, and entertainments,
The younger sister was piqued, and in turn disparaged the life of a tradesman, and stood iup for that of a peasant. “I would not change my way of life for yours: said she. ‘We may live roughly, but at least we are free from anxiety. You live in better style than we do, but though you often carn more than you need, you are very likely to lose all you have. You know the proverb, ‘’Loss and gain are brothers twain.” It ofien happens that people who are wealthy one day are begging their bread the next. Our way is safer, Though a peasant’s life is not a fat one, it is a long one. We shall never grow rich, but we shall always have enough to eat.
The elder sister said sneeringly :
‘Enough ? Yes, if you like to share with the pigs and the calves ! what do you know of elegance of manners ! However much your good man may slave, you will die as you are living-on a dung heap-and your children the same.
“Well, what of that ?’ replied the younger. ‘Of course our work is rough and coarse. But, on the other hand, it is sure, and we need not bow to anyone. But you, in your towns, are surrounded by temptations; today all may be right, but tomorrow the Evil one may tempt your husband with cards, wine or women and all will go to ruin. Don’t such things happen often enough?
144. Which one of the following is not an advantage of the town life according to the writer ?
(A) Comfortable life
(B) Fine clothes for the children
(C) Good things to eat and drink
(D) Living on a dung heap
145. “Though a peasant’s life is not a fat one, it is a long one.” What does fat and long, underlined in this sentence respectively mean in the light of the entire pasage?
(A) poor: sufficient
(B) rich: safe and sure
(C) enough; anxious
(D) comfortable; rough
146. What is not true of village life according to the passage ?
(A) Rough and coarse life
(B) Life surrounded by temptations
(C) Life without elegance of manners
(D) Life free from anxiety
147. Match the following and choose the correct option given below:
(a) Elder sister
(b) Younger sister
(c) Tradesman’s life
(d) Peasant’s life
1. lived in country
3. free from anxiety
4. lived in town Options :
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 1 2 3 4
(B) 4 3 2 1
(C) 4 1 2 3
(D) 1 4 3 2
148. Which one of these options has the words arranged in proper order to form a correct sentence ?
(A) Already/I have/paid/the bill.
(B) I have already/paid/the bill.
(C) The bill/I have/paid/already.
(D) I have/paid/already/the bill.
149. Identify the adjective in the following sentence from the options given below:
She is watching an interesting programme on wildlife on National Geographic Channel. (A) Watching
150. Identify the word with a different sound represented by the underlined letter at the initial level in one of the following words –