41. Choose the correct option from the given words and fill in the blank.
The government confirmed the _______ for the college building.
42. She invited everyone ________ Tom.
43. Choose the suitable word from the choices given to make the sentence meaningful.
Don’t ______ over the past.
Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow : (Question No. 44 to 49)
It is very important that you should have a clear and accurate conception of the subject of the essay before you attempt to write on it – what exactly it is and (equally important) what it is not.
Some subjects are so simple that you can scarcely make a mistake about them; but some want looking into to define them exactly. For example, “The uses of computers.” The subject is not how computers work. Nor is it the history of computers. Yet some students, carelessly reading the subject, might easily take up a large part of their essay with such topics.
In a short-school-essay there is no room for irrelevant matter. You have to come to the point at once, and start away with the subject. The subject in this case is the uses of computers in offices, in industries, in aircraft, in space craft, etc. It is, therefore, very necessary that you should define the subject clearly in your mind, or you may waste much time and paper in writing on more or less irrelevant matters.
44. When one starts writing an essay, one should
(A) never bother about the subject
(B) write whatever one knows
(C) be superficial
(D) be clear and accurate about the subject of the essay
45. In the writer’s opinion, chances of making mistakes are minimum, in essays on
(A) simple subjects
(B) computer subject
(C) science subjects
(D) difficult subjects
46. According to passage, an essay on the “Uses of computers” should tell us –
(A) about the history of computers
(B) about the assembly of computers
(C) about the uses of computers in different offices and departments
(D) how computers work
47 In a short essay the matter should be –
48. In writing, an essay, you should –
(A) research on the subject for a few days
(B) discuss it with many people
(C) know about computers
(D) come to the point at once
49. “Exact” is a synonym of one of the following words used in the passage.
50. Arrange principles of Official letter writing in sequential order.
(1) Identify purpose
(2) Be succinct, get to the point
(3) Organise materials in paragraphs
(4) Address to the specific individual
(A) (1), (4), (3), (2)
(B) (1), (4), (2), (3)
(C) (4), (2), (3), (1)
(D) (1), (2), (3), (4)
51. If you don’t know the recipient’s name how would you address the person and close the letter?
(A) My dear; with love
(B) Dear Mr/Mrs; Yours sincerely
(C) Hello; affectionately yours
(D) Dear Sir or Dear Madam; Yours faithfully.
52. Which of the following is not a function of a ‘CIRCULAR’ ?
(A) to disseminate information
(B) invite applications in office
(C) to inform employees
(D) to invite sellers
53. Choose the appropriate option :
A company need to inform all its customers about a change of an important event happening in the company, which official letter ought to be chosen. –
54. Choose the correct active voice of the following sentence from the options given below :
The teacher was chased.
(A) Someone had chased the teacher.
(B) Somebody has chased the teacher.
(C) Someone is chasing the teacher.
(D) Someone chased the teacher.
55. Fill in the blank with the correct form of the verb given in the bracket.
He ______ (go) to Bombay tomorrow.
(A) has gone
(B) had gone
(D) will go
56. Fill in the blank with the correct option.
We eat that we ________ live.
(B) ought to
57. Choose the correct tense of the verb from the given options.
She looked as if she _________ for years.
(A) had not washed
(B) did not wash
(C) was not washed
(D) has not washed
58. Fill in the blank with the correct form of verb:
“Sorry I’m late.’ “That’s all right.’ I _____ (not wait) for long.
(A) not waiting
(B) haven’t been waiting
(C) has not been waiting
(D) have waited
59. Select the correct transformation from active to passive.
The architect is building the apartment.
(A) The apartment was being built by the architect.
(B) The apartment should be built by the architect.
(C) The apartment is being built by the architect.
(D) The apartment was built by the architect.
60. Choose the correct passive form of the following sentence :
They ate the apple.
(A) The apple was eaten by them.
(B) The apple is eaten by them.
(C) The apple was being eaten by them.
(D) The apple had been eaten by them.