81. Consider the following statements relating to Richter scale :
1. It was devised in 1935 by Charles F. Richter
2. It describes the quantity of energy released by a single earthquake
3. Richter Scale has no upper limit
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
82. Which one of the following ocean currents is NOT a cold ocean current ?
(a) Canary current
(b) California current
(c) Kuroshio current
(d) Oyashio current
83. What is the time gap in occurrence of two successive tides at a given place on the ocean surface ?
(a) 12 hours
(b) 12 hours 26 minutes
(c) 24 hours
(d) 24 hours 52 minutes
84. Tooth enamel is made up of which one of the following calcium compounds ?
(a) Calcium carbonate
(b) Calcium sulphate
(c) Calcium hydroxide
(d) Calcium phosphate
85. Suppose there are two planets, 1 and 2, having the same density but their radii are R1 and R2 respectively, where R1 > R2 . The accelerations due to gravity on the surface of these planets are related as
(a) g1 > g2
(b) g1 < g2
(c) g1 = g2
(d) Can’t say anything
86. Which one of the following cell organelles does NOT possess nucleic acid ?
(d) Plasma Membrane
87. Which one of the following cell organelles does NOT possess its own genetic material encoding proteins?
88. Which one of the following is NOT a component of conducting tissue in plants?
(d) Sieve tubes
89. Which one of the following organisms has vascular tissues ?
90. Which one of the following organisms represents the primary consumer category in an ecosystem?
(b) Crabapple tree
91. Spring tides refer to
(a) greatest difference in the sea level at high and low tides
(b) lowest difference in the sea level at high and low tides
(c) no difference in the sea level at high and low tides
(d) counteraction of gravitational pull of the Sun to that of Moon
92. Which one of the following energy is stored in the links between the atoms?
(a) Nuclear energy
(b) Chemical energy
(c) Potential energy
(d) Thermal energy
93. The light energy escaping from the Sun can be spread by
(a) a shower of rain drops
(b) a plane mirror
(c) a convex lens
(d) a combination of a convex lens and a concave lens
94. The correct sequence of energy transfer that occurs when an apple falls to the ground is
(a) Gravitational potential energy → heat energy to air → kinetic energy → heat energy to ground and apple → sound energy
(b) Gravitational potential energy → sound energy → kinetic energy → heat energy to air → heat energy to ground and apple
(c) Gravitational potential energy → kinetic energy → sound energy → heat energy to air → heat energy to ground and apple
(d) Gravitational potential energy → kinetic energy → sound energy → heat energy to air → heat energy to ground and apple
95. Which one of the following minerals is used as a fuel in nuclear power stations?
96. Which one of the following is NOT a synthetic detergent ?
(a) CH3(CH2)10CH2O SO3–Na+
(b) [CH3(CH2)15-N-(CH3)3]+ Br–
(C) CH3(CH2)16 COO–Na+
(d) CH3(CH2)16 COO(CH2CH2O)nCH2CH2OH
97. Which one of the following is an example of a clean fuel ?
98. Which one of the following metals does NOT react with cold water ?
(a) Calcium (Ca)
(b) Potassium (K)
(c) Magnesium (Mg)
(d) Sodium (Na)
99. In which of the following pairs are the ions is electronic ?
(a) Mg2+, Ar
(b) Na+, O2-
(c) Al3+, Cl–
(d) K+, Ne
100. Which one of the following is used as a binder in paints ?
(a) Titanium dioxide